Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bertrand Galloway

An error caught my eye in an article the local newspaper;  Coquitlam looks at street naming rules
Someone at City hall was NOT doing their due diligence in the information given for the write up thinking that Galloway Avenue is named after a breed of cattle, while Galloway is indeed a breed of cattle,  the Galloway Avenue Coquitlam is named after the Galloway family, more than likely Bertrand Galloway who owned and developed his land along the road. The road was previously known as Irvine Road, probably after the Irvine family who primarily lived in Port Coquitlam. It was frequently also called Galloway Road, a usage in use even today.
Typical ad placed by Bertrand Galloway in the newspapers.( this ad is from 4 Feb., 1959 edition of The Chilliwack Progress )
Bertrand Galloway was born on the 21st of February 1894 at Vancouver, B.C.
Parents were Edwin James Galloway, and Lizzie Cox (note: it appears that Lizzie was previously married, her family name is Lizzie Thompson )

Bertrand married in 1915 Theresa Maria Zazzorino 1895-1992   Her father was Giovanni Zazzorino, who was born in Sicily, he changed the family name to Angel, and he became John Angel.
Bertrand  Galloway died on the 10th of
February 1971, at Burnaby General hospital, Burnaby, B.C.  Home for many years was 1574 Laurier Street, Vancouver; which is located inside the Shaughnessy subdivision.
“Bert” was into insurance in the early 1940’s, then in the mid 1940’s he is selling real estate, which he continues to do until his death in 1971.
A quick search of the Coquitlam Council minutes gives the main clue:
25 April 1945:  Bertrand Galloway Ltd. asks council to build road for him, he will pay.   Council says no.    In the interim he must have greased some palms…
26 January 1946:   request for signs Galloway Road ( Irvine Road )
9 September 1946:   Galloway subdivision plan of L.S. 5  Section 18 twp 40.   approved 28 October 1946:    plan of subdivision SW¼ of sec 18 twp 40.  approved
     Had to wait until 1948 for BCER power poles to be approved by council; and the residents in the late 1960’s early 1970’s were asking for water connections, with no good answers from the municipal parliamentarians.

Theresa Maria Galloway  1895 -1992
Bertrand’s mother, Theresa Galloway was involved with women's issues and a civic fixture for decades, as president of organizations like the Vancouver Council of Women, the Provincial Council of Women of British Columbia, and the Lady Vancouver Club (an auxiliary of the Greater Vancouver Tourist and Convention Bureau). The Native Sons of British Columbia named her Vancouver’s Citizen of the Year in 1963. She had her own hairdressing business:  Hairdressing Annex, at 2061 Venables Street, Vancouver.  Very active in community and humanitarian services from the 1920’s through the 1980’s .
 Bertrand’s father Edwin James Galloway, was a stationer, book dealer in Vancouver from 1890 until his death in 1930, but the business continued after his death until 1946.
“Edwin J. Galloway, The Old Book Shop, established 1890. High School and University Books, a specialty. New and Second-Hand Books of every description carried in stock, or procured at short notice. Libraries or single books purchased for cash at a fair valuation,” at 940 Granville Street.
 940,944,950 Granville Street, Vancouver, B.C.
Edwin J. Galloway; Ready-Wear shop, Oxford grill.
21402 VPL 31 January 1923, by the Dominion Photo Co
938-952 Granville Street, Van., B.C..  Galloway-Dorbils, New Palace Cafe, Aristocrat cleaners, Aristocrat hatters, Elite cafe. laSalle Shoe repair.
photo: 15895 VPL  November 1943  by Leonard Frank.
 Before and After: Galloway’s was at some point located at 872 Granville Street. The place is still there, in fact, but now a renovated American Apparel next door to The Orpheum.   photo from the Changing Vancouver blog

A start on the book store history was done by the  GRF Antiquarian, here is a few bookplates from Galloway et al.


AD from 1945

Edwin  James Galloway came to B.C. in 1890  and did various jobs, then he started into the stationary, book selling business; on  the 10th of August 1891 he must have been in Wentworth, Ontario because he was married to Lizzie Maud Cox there.   The 1891 census, captured Edwin living in Vancouver. Also the 1901 Census and the 1911 Census, captures the growing family. 
Edwin James Galloway was born on the 8th of April 1869  at Dundas, Ontario.  His parents were Thomas Galloway  and  Hannah Naylor  (1891 Census of the parents )
Edwin J. Galloway died at on the 5th of May 1930 at St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver, B.C. after a short stay of three weeks,  the family home for many years was at 1963 Creelman Avenue, Vancouver.

Children of,
Edwin J. Galloway and Lizzie Maud Cox / Thompson( June 1872/1873-?):
Lottie Galloway  b. Mar. 1895
Cecil Thomas Galloway  1898-1963
Chrissie / Christine Galloway  b. Mar. 1900
Anne Edith Galloway “Yuill” 1892-1944
Ethel Belle Galloway “Thomson” b. Nov. 1895
Probably incomplete. 


    Sadly there has been many name changes of the roads, trails in the Tri-Cities area, and with very little documentation to go along with the changes. 

       For instance : Pitt River Road built roughly following some trails in 1862 by the Royal Engineers, it started at the junction of todays East Columbia Street, and Brunett Avenue, and made its way to the Pitt River, in present day Port Coquitlam.  In Coquitlam and New Westminster the remnants of this historic road are known by numerous other names: Brunette Avenue, then enters a void consumed by the present day freeway system, near Cape Horn, then it reappears as  portions of Cape Horn Avenue, then Mariner Way( portions of which were known as Mathewson Avenue and was named after Gilbert Mathewson ( 1866 - 1933 ) a supervisor at Essondale and a  landowner. Road name changed in 1986 ), Violet way, Fern Terrace, Holly Drive, then immediately after it enters Port Coquitlam, it gains its original name back and keeps it.
Part of the Pitt River Road on the Port Coquitlam side is newer alignments, in the past the connection was further north, and two bridges were crossed not one as it is today.  And  most of the road names that I have mentioned in Coquitlam, have also had other names in the past, drives a historian crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment