Monday, January 11, 2016


So I come across this:  Coquitlam Dam scrapbook   
Which contains a few really nice images; I have been slowly attempting to figure out who is who in the images, and also where the photos were taken.

Page 4  contains two images; Photo 1: (Not shown) First bridge, 4 men on bridge deck.
Photo 2: (shown here below)  C.H. Stuart Wade is standing on the the far left

Page 3
Photo 1: (Not shown)  First Bridge ?, Mr. Enderby?, Mr. Carson?, George Wilson, Mr. Bester?
Caption, Photo 2: (shown below)
Same bridge with Mr. Wade, Mr. Bester?, Mr. Carson?, George Wilson
[ C.H. Stuart Wade is wearing white shirt, standing second from right. ]
This bridge was built for the British Columbia Electric Company, B.C.E.R. it crossed the Coquitlam River, just below Or Creek, in the past known as Gold Creek. It was probably destroyed in the 1921 flood. The tracks went from a wharf in Port Moody to Coquitlam Lake.
Page 518 to 521  of the: British Columbia from the earliest times to the present; Biographical  ( 1914) Vol 3.   tells us a little about Mr. Wade..

Of English birth, C. H. Stuart Wade has become an important factor in the development of the Canadian northwest. He is now secretary of the Board of Trade and also the city publicity commissioner of New Westminster. His labors, too, have been felt in scientific circles and in support of fraternal interests and in fact his aid has been generously given where the welfare of the country rendered it necessary. He was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire, England, January 5, 1858, his father being Thomas Wade, L. R. C. P., M. S. A., the head master of Stonehouse Scholastic Institute and a descendant of one of the oldest British families. C. H. S. Wade was educated in the Plymouth Collegiate School and at Kings College and received his commission as a lieutenant but resigned to enter the civil service. He held many important positions in that connection.

        He was decorated by the late Lord Salisbury for special services. In 1897 he came to Canada and was special correspondent in the farthest north during the Klondyke rush for the Winnipeg Free Press in the then unknown wilds of Athabasca and the Peace River district. In Edmonton he was known principally through his work as a magistrate, having conducted most of the criminal cases there for several years. Among the most important of the murder trials he sat upon were the famous Lesser Slave Lake (King trial) and the Red Deer cases,
both lasting over ten days.

     Mr. Wade's scientific work has been acknowledged by fellowship in the British Society of Arts & Sciences, in the Royal Horticultural Society, the Royal Geographical, Historical and other Canadian societies. He is an able and prolific writer and makes frequent contributions to the press throughout Canada as well as in England.

      Mr. Wade came to the Northwest Territories in 1897 and after spending over three years in exploring the Peace, Mackenzie and Athabasca river districts located in Edmonton, where he became magistrate and publicity commissioner of northern Alberta. In the latter connection he did important work to exploit the interests of the district and make known its resources and possibilities. Prominence came to him in other connections, for he was made grand registrar of Masons for Alberta. In 1908 he came to British Columbia and subsequently was appointed secretary of the Board of Trade and city publicity commissioner of New Westminster, in which public positions he still continues. His efforts in this connection are proving resultant. He has instituted many new methods for work of this character and is constantly formulating new plans which result beneficially in making known to the world the opportunities here to be enjoyed and the resources which nature has stored up in this section of the country for those who care to utilize them. His advice is freely placed at the disposal of all investigators regarding British Columbia's resources.

        Mr. Wade was married to Miss Elizabeth Agnes Phillips, of London, England, and they have become parents of three sons and three daughters: Charles Edmund Wade, who is now in the land registry office of New Westminster; Harold George Wade, of Coquitlam; Herbert Alfred Wade, assistant superintendent of education in Honolulu; Minnie Beatrice Wade, the wife of William Fraser, of Kelowna, British Columbia; Kate Frances Wade, the wife of D. G. Crozier, of Armstrong, British
Columbia; and Lillian Ernestine Wade,(1884-1918) at home.

       Mr. Wade among other honors, possesses one recently bestowed, as fellow of the Royal Colonial Institute. His present Masonic connections are with Lewis Lodge, No. 57, A. F. & A. M.; Westminster Chapter, No. 124, R. A. M.; Westminster Preceptory, No. 56, K. T. ; and Al Azhar Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S,. of Calgary. He was one of the founders of Lewis Lodge in New Westminster, and is an honorary life member of Jasper Lodge at Edmonton. He was also one of the organizers of the Royal Cariboo Order and is deputy supreme chief pioneer of the Cariboo Brotherhood. He has not only been a witness of the changes which have occurred in the northwest since pioneer times but also an active participant in the work of development and progress. What he has accomplished can scarcely be measured, but it is well known that his influence has been a far-reaching one and that his labors have been productive of practical and beneficial results. He is numbered among those men whose prescience enables them to understand much of what the future has in store for this growing western country and, laboring according to the dictates of his faith and judgment, he has accomplished much.

Group of men standing on the deck of the "S.S. Princess Royal" to Victoria 17 July 1912 Citizens Picnic.Pictured are C.A. Sutherland (former Columbian reporter, advertising manager of People's Trust), office man at T.J. Trapp's or J.W.A. Cunningham's (name not remembered by donor), Captain of Princess Royal, Harris Turner (Daily News reporter, blinded in WWI), T.K. Caine (butcher), P.W. Luce (ex news editor Daily News), C.H. Stuart Wade (Publicity Commissioner)
IHP1556    C.H. Stuart Wade is third from the right.

SS. "Princess Royal" conveying troops to camp
1912 photo: Stuart Thomson (1881-1960)  A16172

S.S. Princess Royal, docked at C.P.R. wharf; 1911?
photo:  Richard Broadbridge  A07906
Chilliwack Progress  19 March 1931  Obituary
C.H.Stuart WadeA man once prominent in the public life of New Westminster died Friday (15 March 1931) morning in Los Angeles, in the person of C.H. Stuart Wade, who was publicity commissioner for the Royal City in the boom days Charles Henry Stuart Wade was born at Macclesfield, Cheshire, England, In 1855. In 1898, after twenty years service as an official of the London general post office, he retired on pension, on account of ill health, and came to Canada.

       Locating at Edmonton, he engaged In exploration work in the McKenzie River basin. He was at that time a correspondent of the London Daily Telegraph and was writing for several Canadian newspapers. His explorations earned him a fellowship in the Royal Geographical Society. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society.

       At Edmonton Mr. Wade was appointed magistrate and industrial commissioner. He came to the Pacific coast In 1907, and was appointed secretary of the New Westminster board of trade and later, publicity commissioner. In 1920 he went south, again in search of health.

      Mrs. Wade(a) died at Chilliwack three years ago. Mr. Wade is survived by three Sons and two daughters, Charles E. Wade, San Francisco; Herbert A. Wade, Hawaii; Harold George Wade,( 1879 – 1953 ) New Westminster; Mrs. Minnie Beatrice Fraser( 1880 - 1968 ), Chilliwack; Mrs. Kate Frances Crozier ( 1887 – 1968 ), Armstrong,B.C.

Mr. Wade was prominent in Masonic circles. He founded Jasper lodge at Edmonton, was grand registrar of the Alberta grand lodge, and was a life member of Lewis lodge, New Westminster, of which he was one of the founders.
(a)  Elizabeth Agnes Phillips Wade ( 1851 – 1927 ) Lived for eight years with her daughter Minnie Beatrice Fraser, in Chilliwack, while her husband lived in Los Angeles;  Elizabeth had been an  invalid for 26 years. Buried in the Family plot at St. Mary’s, Sapperton.

No comments:

Post a Comment